Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Donut Recipe


First off I'm not a pro at cooking, I really really really just fly by the seat of my pants. I usually do lots of research online first, find a bunch of different recipes and then I wing it, lol. so the recipe below is going to be written as if I was talking to you, if you have questions feel free to ask in the comments.
The whole idea for these started when my god-mother mentioned that when her nieces and nephews were young they couldn't afford to go and buy donuts (my aunt had 10 KIDS!), that they would make their own. so this intrigued me. I asked how they used to make them. She said it was easy, they'd take canned biscuits, and deep fry them and then put powdered sugar or cinnamon on them. Well that shot down my hopes of making them at first because we don't buy canned biscuits. The reason we don't buy them is I don't buy ANYTHING that has partially hydrogenated oil in it, and every kind of canned biscuit I've found has that. But then I got to thinking (dangerous I know) and I decided why the heck don't I make home made biscuits and do the same thing!
so I use Bisquick Heart Smart (because the regular one has the evil oil in it, that crap is in so much! not going to get into that now though, lol).
and this is what you do
you take
2 cups Bisquick
3/4 cup milk (or 2/3 cup water)

Stir milk into Bisquick. Beat dough hard for 30 seconds to make it tighten up enough to handle. Turn dough on well-floured, cloth covered board. Pat, round it up and fold over 3 times. Roll out lightly with rolling pin, 1/2 to 1 inch thick, depending on how thick you want the biscuits.

now here is where you get out your fancy biscuit cutter (what you don't have one of those? then do what I do and take a drinking glass and use that, lol) and you cut out as many biscuits as you can with that. (you can either rework the dough from around the circles you just cut or leave it in strips and cook them the same way we'll make the donuts). Now how do you cut the hole out of the middle? well I'll tell you what I did. DON'T laugh...lol . you know how liquid meds come with with the little cup to dispense it? well I've got tons of these around and so I took one of those and used it to cut the center out. I sure hope you're not laughing...oh who am I kidding go on get it all out.....lol!! so know you have donuts and donut holes.
Now when I make these I do half of them covered in powdered sugar and half in a mix of cinnamon and sugar, so get a bowl of each ready. You can also just leave them plain, sometimes I leave a couple that way too.
now you want to have some oil (I use vegetable oil, lots of the recipes I came across said to use "deep fat", and yeah...I don't go for that, so veggie it is for me, lol) nice and hot on the stove in a pot big enough to fit 3 or 4 donuts or use a deep fryer (oil doesn't have to be super deep, the donuts will float) and heat to about 375 degrees. you're going to plop a couple of those babies in the oil for a minute or so (until the first side browns , and then you're gonna flip them. now when both sides are done you take them out set them out a plate with a paper towel to get the extra oil off, then coat them in the topping of your choice. Continue until they're all done. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Wow you use Bisquick!! I even have some, and it is the heart healthy one. Gotta try these this weekend! Thanks!
These are insanely easy!

Jodi said...

We used to do the biscuit donuts when we was kids. We used a lid off a small bottle to make the holes. My great aunt made donuts, but I lost the recipe. lol

Lissa Ballard said...

Oh my goodness Fe, these look scrumptious!

I'm going to have to give these a try. I'm a doughnut freak and there are just times you have to have one!

Thanks sugar!
Hugs,
Lissa